Artifacts

MAPS, DOCUMENTS & ARTIFACTS OF THE PARK ERA, 1885-1911

Note: all photos can be enlarged by clicking on them. They will open in a new window, which you can close when finished viewing. This page contains a large number of pictures and could take a while to load completely. Thank you for your patience. Enjoy!

Download and print the Adobe PDF version of this page (click here)

Diagrams & Maps | Documents | Artifacts | Metheny Inn

 

Diagrams and Maps

Probably the most important document uncovered by our research, this hand-drawn map (author unknown) was very instrumental in helping us identify the location of many of the park’s structures and features. The map is dated “1885”, but the features shown suggest that it represents the park in it’s later stages (around 1910). This map is oriented with South at the top (the Beaver River is along the right edge, and the Connoquenessing Creek is at the top edge).

Download full-size version to print (4 MB)

A satellite view of the area with the approximate location of the features and structures drawn onto the photo. This view is oriented with south at the bottom.
An early topographic map of the Rock Point area. Dated 1904. This view is oriented with south at the bottom.

From Maptech Historical Maps – click here to view entire quadrangle

 

Documents

1907 Letter/Report to the General Superintendent, Pennsylvania Lines (PRR) from James Sansom, President of the Rock Point Amusement Company, describing improvements to the park in 1906.
Addendum to the above report, showing the cost of improvements. 1906
1899 report showing park improvement costs and railroad ridership for prior years.
1922 Beaver Falls Tribune news release describing the leasing of the Rock Point property to the King’s Quarry Company. Sadly, the document describes the removal of practically all remaining Park buildings by the firm’s workers.
Stock certificate from the Pittsburgh, Youngstown, & Ashtabula Railway Company issued in 1969 for 10 shares of preferred stock at $100 per share.

 

Artifacts

Ride ticket for the Shoot-the-Chutes ride. Children’s ticket – 5 cents!
Reverse of ticket above.
5centnotefront An 1860s Five Cent Note issued by Rock Point, PA. We are not certain of the purpose of this note, and invite anyone with any information about it to contact us with the details.
fivecentnoteback Five Cent Note (back)
Glass box souvenir from Rock Point Park. Approximately 4 inches across. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Ruby glass souvenir cup. Approximately 4 inches tall. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
A similar, but much smaller, ruby shot-size glass. Approximately 1.5″ tall.
Collection of “Ruby Flash” glass souvenirs displayed at March ’08 Friends of Rock Point Park meeting at the Ellwood City Historical Society.
A “cream-glass” souvenir cup depicting the Peristyle. This cup holds approximately 6 ounces and is 5 inches tall.
An ivory colored glass vase depicting a scene from Rock Point Park at the Connoquessing Creek Bridge. Approximately 8 inches tall. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
An ivory colored glass vase depicting a scene from Rock Point Park at the Peristyle building. Approximately 8 inches tall. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Dance program card from 1909. Produced for the company outing of the CD&P Telephone Company. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Inside of the above dance card. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Funhouse mirror thought to have been used in one of the arcade buildings, or possibly the Dance Hall. It is now housed in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Original gas lamps once used to light the evening walkways at the park. The glass shade is thought to be approximately 12 inches tall and 8 inches in diameter. They were unearthed by an investigator using a metal detector in the mid-1980s. The whereabouts of these fixtures is unknown.
A dues reminder card sent by the Mason’s Union to a Rock Point Park worker – 1898. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Reverse of above card. It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Oil lanterns used on the Ellwood City lorry (see picture on lower left). It is part of the collection in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Windows once installed in the main Dance Pavilion. They were removed by a worker after one of the major fires which occurred after the park permanently closed. After being stored for a couple years, they were then used in the construction of this garage in 1915. The garage, originally built as a laundry room, still stands in the Park Gate area.
These ice cream cones, made at a Rock Point Park ice cream concession stand, have been preserved by a local family for nearly 100 years. They now reside in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum.
Newspaper photo of Mrs. Tillia, who owned the cones. From the Ellwood City Ledger, June 20, 1985.
The Old Matheny Inn
The Matheny Tavern (Inn) at Rock Point. Begun in 1836 by Moses Matheny, it was completed in 1837 by Aaron Metheny (son of Moses Matheny).
The ruins of the Matheny Inn (along the former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Canal) beside the Beaver River. This photograph is thought to have been taken in the 1930s.
[how it looks now]
Another photo from the same series. The person in the picture is Al Pogozelec, uncle of contributor Bob Sutkawski. Recently deceased, Al celebrated his 100th birthday in 2005.
Another photo from the same series. This scene is looking north through one of the crumbling window openings.
A postcard showing park visitors preparing to board the train for the ride home. The Matheny in can be seen in the background. Probably from 1890.
[how it looks now]
The original brass door handle from the Matheny Inn, circa 1836. This handle was discovered in the 1930s, and was put into use by the finder as a handle for his shop door. It was passed on to the finder’s son, who then used it for his shop door. It finally landed in the Ellwood City Historical Society Museum last year, where it will remain.
A handsaw given to Moses Matheny by George Washington’s survey crew. It is thought that this saw was used in the construction of the Matheny Inn. It dates back to the mid 1700s. It is now framed, and in the possession of a descendant of the Matheny family.

 

Download and print the Adobe PDF version of this page (click here)

Please be sure to visit the Rock Point Park Newsletter online
for the latest news, updates, events, and discussion.

 

  • Comments Off on Artifacts